Nothing compares to the satisfaction of plucking your own fruits from the garden and eating them fresh. Gardening is a highly rewarding activity. While many of us actively plant and grow flowers, when it comes to growing your fruits, not everyone is confident about it. Gardening takes more than a green thumb. But don’t let that deter you. If you don’t have a garden space at your home, then use your balcony or terrace to grow your fruits.
Fruits to grow
When you start planning to grow fruits in your own garden, you must have some specific fruit plants in mind that you wish to grow. But choose your plants wisely. If you are new to gardening, then you should start with easy to grow fruits. Lemon, guava, pineapple, tomato, and banana are easy to grow, hence making them perfect for beginners. You can use the seeds of the fruits you eat at home. For a pineapple, separate the crown from the top and plant it in your garden. This way gardening won’t be heavy on your pocket as well. Also, these plants are easy to care for. Enough sunlight, watering daily, and fertilizing once or twice a month is all they require. However, if you have a proper garden space, then you can plant papaya, custard apple, chikoo, or a pomegranate tree. These plants require extra care to grow. Remember after planting, you should wait at least 2 months for your plants to bear fruit. However exciting it may sound, but you cannot expect to pluck fruits from your plants after a week of planting them.
Here are a few tips and tricks to grow your own fruits:
- Tally your garden space- Before you go about planting seeds, the first step is to tally the amount of space you have. You have to plan accordingly. If you have a small space, or you are planning to grow fruits in the pots, then choose small plants. But if you have a huge space, then you can go for fruit-bearing trees. Also, most fruit plants require 6-8 hours of sunlight daily, so choose a space with adequate sunlight.
- Prepare your soil- For your plants to bear fruit, they should be healthy and plants take their nutrition from the soil. So checking the quality of soil and preparing it accordingly is a very important step. If the soil is not fertile, then add compost to increase its fertility.
- Plant dwarf trees- For your home garden you can plant dwarf trees. This is an easy and safe way to harvest. They begin to bear fruits at a much younger stage than normal plants. Also, if you have a smaller space dwarf trees thrive well in pots.
- Spacing between plants- While planting seeds in your garden, remember the plants will grow one day, and they need enough space for that. Leave at least 5 feet space between each plant. While growing plants in a pot also you should follow this rule. Don’t keep the pots in close proximity with each other. Crowded plants develop more slowly than properly spaced plants.
- Use organic fertilizer- Besides buying organic fertilizer from the store, you can use your kitchen waste to make fertilizers for your garden. This makes your soil healthy and is also an effective way of waste management at home.
- Look out for insects- Your fruits will most certainly attract insects at some point. It’s important to check the plants regularly for insects. Maggots and insects destroy your fruits from the inside making all your efforts go in vain. Use pesticides only when it is necessary, and use the least toxic alternative.
- Efficient watering- You should not just water your plants daily, but water them thoroughly for proper growth. However, watering too much can result in the rotting of soil, which kills the plant. So make sure you do your research well or take professional help to know about the required care before you plant a tree.
When it comes to gardening, your plants thrive on care and time, not on money. These tips on how to grow your own fruits will help you grow a ‘fruitful’ garden so that you can readily enjoy nature’s freshness from your own garden. If you follow these guidelines well, you will soon realize how easy and satisfying it is to grow your own fruits and veggies.
Always choose the best fertilizers, and pesticides for your plants. Nivshakti Bioenergy Pvt Ltd is one of the Largest Biotech Companies in North-East India. We are the prime input manufactures and suppliers of Bio-Pesticides, Bio-Insecticides, Bio-Fertilizers, and Bio-Fungicides. We are committed to helping you grow a healthy and productive garden. We are one of the most trusted organic fertilizer stores in India. If you’re looking for more gardening tips visit our blogs on the website shaktibiotech.in.