It has often happened with us that we wanted to cook a dish, but the very next moment we realize that we don’t have all the necessary ingredients. Most of the time the vegetables can be replaced with another vegetable, or the spices can be altered, but the herbs you add to garnish or cook cannot be replaced. Kitchen herbs can always add an extra zing to the dishes cooked. Imagine stepping out into your own garden and collecting herbs you’ve grown before you start cooking. These herbs not only taste great, but they are 100% organic. In this blog, we will give you tips about How to Grow Your Own Kitchen Herbs.
Growing your own herbs is a great way to get your hands dirty, save some money, and enjoy delicious fresh herbs. It’s not a very tedious process. Therefore anyone can try their hand at growing some simple kitchen herbs. You can grow them in small containers or pots on your kitchen window, so you can obtain fresh herbs for your kitchen at any time.
Which Herbs can I grow?
Parsley, Spinach, Mint, Basil, Coriander are some of the most popular choices when it comes to growing herbs indoor. Besides being the easiest grow, these herbs are the most needed for everyday cooking.
Parsley is used mostly for garnishing, but if you are growing your own parsley, you can use it in a lot more than cooking. Spinach is used in soups, cooking, smoothies and it makes your dishes healthier. Both these herbs are grown from seeds. Once you plant the seeds you will see them germinating in a week and in another 2 weeks your herbs will be grown enough for you to use them in cooking. Mint, Basil, Coriander can be easily grown from cuttings. Place them in a glass of water and their roots will appear in 2 weeks. There are several types of Basil. Apart from their use in cooking, Basil has several medicinal properties. Summers call for mint because of their refreshing properties. It’s used in mojitos, smoothies. In Indian households, mint is popularly used in chutneys. Coriander is another important herb for Indian households. Almost every Indian curry requires a garnishing of Coriander in the end. Besides all these popular herbs, you can also grow Curry leaves. They are rich in antioxidants
and we love garnishing our dals and curries with Curry leaves. This is one of the easiest kitchen herbs to grow and care for.
How to Care for your Kitchen Herbs?
Growing your kitchen herbs is really easy. Here are some important tips for you-
• Sunlight is the key element for these herbs, so find a sunny spot for your herbs. They require at least 4-5 hours of direct sunlight.
• Make sure your herbs get regular water. Water them every alternate day. In this way, you won’t kill your herbs by overwatering.
• Use well-drained soil. Keep the soil slightly moist, but not soggy.
• Use indoor soil potting mix. Herbs like Mint, Spinach, Coriander thrives well in regular potting soil, while Parsley, Rosemary requires a mix of sandy along with regular potting soil.
• Use separate containers for the healthy growth of herbs. Growing different herbs together make it difficult for you to care for them.
• Use liquid fertiliser once a month. For a nutrient boost, fertilising them would prove to be beneficial. You can also use compost to improve the soil.
• If you’re new to growing herbs, start with one or two herbs in a small pot. Then expand your herbs family gradually.
• Proper air circulation is also important for the healthy growth of herbs.
Growing your own herbs is one of the easiest ways to add flavour to a dish or jazz up a smoothie. Apart from being healthy and sustainable, they brighten up your windowsills. You’ll have a fresh supply of herbs throughout the year. If you follow these tips then you’ll surely be on the right track. Don’t be disheartened if you go wrong the first time, trial and error method works the best for planting herbs. Start growing the herbs you need the most for your cooking, you’ll soon realize what works for your herbs and what don’t.
Growing kitchen herbs have become easier now with Nivshakti Bioenergy Pvt Ltd. You can get all your gardening requirements here. From organic fertilisers to organic pesticides and fungicides, we address all your gardening concerns. Nivshakti Bioenergy Pvt Ltd is the best organic fertilizer and fungicide manufacturer in India. We manufacture Bio-Organic Pesticides, Bio-Organic Insecticides, Bio-Organic Fertilizers, and Bio-Organic Fungicides. We believe in creating positive changes and doing the right thing. When you buy our products, you support us in our belief. Nivshakti Bioenergy Pvt Ltd
was started in 2003 and in a span of almost two decades, we have reached great heights. For more information on our products,